Sunday, October 01, 2006

Dean Karnaze rocks on . . .


Today Dean joined about 9,200 other runners in the Portland Marathon. From Dean's blog today . . .

"I'am sorry, Sir, I couldn't hear what you said." He repeated himself, and I still couldn't catch his words, though it sounded like something about perspiration or something. I moved in closer, "Could you say that one more time? " I thought I might be annoying him. "You . . . are an inspiration," he said to me.

I lost it. To have this brave soul - a person in tremendous pain, a person who was giving it his all and struggling his hardest to reach his goal of making it to the finish line - call me an inspiration was too much. I lost it, and tears rolled down my cheeks.

Dear Sir, whoever you are, it is you who is the inspiration.

As my Dad is fond of saying, "It's not how many times you fall down that matters, it's how many times you get back up."

And today in Portland, I watched a man get back up.
Dean has finished 15 of the 50 marathons heconsecutive 50 consectutive days - one will be in each state. You may follow Dean at his blog linked here.

Photograph courtesy of the Portland Rose Society.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dean's accomplishments hit the front page of the Oregonian today. Incredible!!

 
Personal Blogs - Blog Top Sites